Living in USA
Cost of Living while studying
Estimated living cost for the US is around $10000 to $12000 per year, which averages around $700 to $1000 per month. This includes your accommodation costs, room, and board, food, travel, textbooks, weather appropriate clothing and entertainment expenses as well.
Here is a range of costs that have been considered while estimating the living expenses:
- Books and study material costs around $500 to $1000 per year
- Travel costs within the US will be from $300 to $700
- Accommodation will cost between $5000 and $7500 per year
- For living off campus, the cost of renting an apartment will be between $300 and $600 a month but could be higher depending on the location of the school.
- Meals should cost around $2500 a year if you do not eat out too many times
- Shopping for clothes will cost more than $500 annually if you are in a cold country
- Personal and variable expenses will be around $2000 per year
This table will give you an approximate monthly average expense idea:
(home cooked meals)
|International Calling cards||$15|
|Petrol for car||$75|
*Note: These amounts will differ from state to state within the US
Students should be able to meet the following costs when they are studying in the US. Costs may increase by about 5% to7% per year due to inflation and external factors.
- Travel expenses between your home country and US during vacation time
- Large purchases, such as PC, furniture, or even a rental car etc.
- Medical expenses not covered by health insurance, e.g. dental care, eye care, cosmetic treatments
- Additional summer expenses – room and board, grocery costs for the summer months you stay on in the US when classes are not being held
- Additional expenses such as off-campus transportation
- Entertainment, social outings, weekend trips