Australia Subclass 500 Student Visa

Student Visa

The Australian student visa allows you to study in Australia, with limited work rights. A student visa can be approved for Language Courses, Professional Courses (Vocational Education & Training courses, Diploma courses) and Degree Courses (Bachelors, Masters and PhDs).

The Australian student visa can only be approved if you are enrolled in an accredited course provided by a registered Australian education provider, college or university.

The student visa is linked to the Confirmation of Enrolment (COE), which identifies the start and end date of the accredited course.

You may combine multiple courses within the same visa, such as a language course and a diploma course.

The minimum duration of a related visa course is 12 weeks, maximum is 50 weeks.

Visa Types

Below is the list of the Australian student visas currently available.

  • Subclass 500 Student Visa
  • Subclass 590 Student Guardian Visa for parents or guardians of an international student younger than 18 years of age studying in Australia on a student visa.

Entry Requirements

  • Academic requirements.
  • English language requirements.
  • Evidence of funds to support your study.
  • Overseas student health cover

Visa Requirements

  • Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) certificate
  • Meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement
  • Sufficient funds for airfares, course fees and living costs
  • English language proficiency
  • Meet health and character requirements
  • Acceptable Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Work rights on a student visa

A student visa may allow you to work legally in a part time job (up to 20 hours a week) during the course semester. You may work full-time hours between semesters.

Part-time work in Australia (4-5 hours per day) allows you to partially cover the costs of accommodation, food, transport and tourism.

Including dependent(s)

You can include your partner
You or your partner’s dependent children
Further documents need to be provided to add dependent(s).

You must declare all family members on your application, even if they do not plan to travel with you to Australia. If you do not do this, your family members will not be able to apply to join you after you have started your course in Australia.